18 October 2011

Canberra Bilby's - My First Ironman (By Jason Pye)

Article taken from Thursday 4 May, 1978

Today was my first ironman. My first marathon, my first 3.8km swim in a bunch of 1,600 people and my first 180km ride with no drafting and no mates to talk too (well sort of). To say I was scared was an understatement.

The day started off really well though, no sign of rain or too much wind (which we had during the week). Battled to get my sustain and muffins down for breakfast as the nervous energy was really building.I was staying with two other friends who were old hats and Ironman, but they weren't saying much when we first woke, so it made me even more nervous. We got down to transition nice and early so I could pump the tyres up and try to calm the nerves. It seemed to work.

I know you all are dying to read some more - http://bilbys.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=60

7 comments:

Pysies Ladybum said...

Look how lean I was!

Beagle said...

I wasn't even born then

Uber Ginga said...

Did you finish? How? What is your secret? I must read on...

30 seconds quicker than Pyesy said...

I think watching Mugabe down dodgy pad Thai and 3 rum and cokes the night before threw you off your game.

Moogo said...

I didn't once doubt that that would be a cracking read, but could you pls fix all the speling mitakes.

J Pizzle said...

Forgot to mention reidy beat me that day too!!!

Dr Wilson MD said...

Jason, Dr Wilson from Port Maquarie Medical & Sexual Dysfunction Clinic here. Just wanted to follow up with you regarding the toxic levels of radioactive materials we found in your blood in May 2006.

We have finally found a cause. Do NOT HANDLE ANYMORE GLOWSTICKS. The 3000 glowsticks you were handed during the race are the cause of your blood issues and also possibly your ongoing lady bottom and hence forced sexual dysfunction and depression.

Run faster next time.

Regards

Dr Wilson