16 March 2009

Garry The Poet - 2nd at Australian Champs


Garry Halverson has proven that he is one of Australia's best triathlete's with a strong showing at the National Champs held in Perth yesterday. Unfortunately, the QUON's Rick Springfield (Jess Featonby) was involved in a crash and had to pull out of the race. Both The Poet and Springfield are looking like certainties for the London Olympics with both having strong recent performances.

Queenslander Courtney Atkinson confirmed his status as a master tactician by successfully defending his Australian Olympic Distance Triathlon title in today’s City of Perth Challenge.Following what was, by his lofty standards, a poor swim, the Beijing Olympian lead a pack of 16 off the bike before running away from Victorian-based ACT athlete Gareth Halverson at the halfway stage of the 10km run to win in a time of 1hr 46min 17secs. Halverson finished almost a full minute adrift, while up-and-coming Queenslander James Seear snaring bronze and in doing so earned himself automatic selection in the Under 23 field for the World Championships on the Gold Coast in September.

“I had a really poor swim because the young blokes were all hyped up and sprinted out for the first 200 metres and I really battled to get through the field from there,” Atkinson said.“Gareth went with me on the run and although we’re actually rooming together over here this weekend I really don’t know that much about his racing style and you’re never too sure how things will go because someone always jumps up and has a good day. But at the 5km mark it started to warm up and I suppose I was able to hold my pace and he dropped off a bit. That was the goal – to run out reasonably hard and then stick to a pace that I could hold evenly.” Halverson, 24, was happy with his return to form.

“I had a few injuries and then it was probably more of a mental challenge to turn things around, but that was a good race for me and gives me a solid platform going into what will hopefully be a strong season. I have a lot of people to thank, my coach, but mainly Team QUON who have shaped me into such a strong athlete."

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great work from Brother Poet... A few weeks back at Cafe Quon, Zany said he was going to re-publish the 'favorite sheets' email. Come on Zany bring it back, I have a few people in my office up here who haven't seen it yet!

Anonymous said...

Nice work Halvo!

Anonymous said...

Nice work Garry. How are all the Perth girls after last night? Sore no doubt.

Anonymous said...

Nice work Br Poet. Any news about Baby J. There was a rumour that he was in Perth as well, but he was roomy with Dom.

I am guessing that Dom's magic has rubbed off and baby J was a non-starter.

Anonymous said...

He goes alright for a Ginga doesn't he

Anonymous said...

That comment must be from House-of. Scottyrocks would never acknowledge a ginga in public!

Anonymous said...

He would've won if he'd followed my nads shaving instructions. A poofteenth of a second is important these days. As for Randwick...he came 12th. Maybe a night with the Quon Stalker hindered his preparation.

Anonymous said...

If death was warmed down a bit, it would look like this picture.

Anonymous said...

If I didn't go down in that race the outcome would have been very different...

Anonymous said...

I would have won if I didn't crash.

Anonymous said...

JF - Featonby or Francis?

Anonymous said...

I was about to attack and leave you all for dead, you would never have had a chance of keeping up with me.

Jumanji